Friday 11 April 2008

The Last couple of days.....

Have been bloody quiet! I've been hoping for a Yellow Wagtail, just one will do! but no, very very quiet on all the paddock flashes. Rain at this time of year often brings down migrant birds and for the last couple of days I've been out looking hard for any of the possibilities we occasionally get at this time of year, another Ring Ouzel, a Redstart maybe or even a Pied Flycatcher....Nowt, not a single Oooh what was that! Still, keep telling myself plenty of time, just got to keep going. I did have an impressive group of Sand Martin with a couple of House Martin come through ahead of a front and also had a fly through 1st summer Little Gull which was a major surprise, it's only (I think) the third one I've ever seen on the site. Other than that (which is good but I'd rather see a Male Redstart) the best sightings have been a very showy pair of Willow Tits that have been around all winter but are now nesting. This species is never very easy to see on Aylestone Meadows but the last few days they've been so showy I might have to drag the camera out...watch this space! The Kingfishers are still showing remarkably well at the rather public nest hole and fortunately our less desirable crowd haven't noticed them. There has been quite an explosion of our rather unusual melanistic (black) Rabbits, especially along the boardwalk and the edge of the Biam. If you see one, don't worry...they're not escapes.

No comments: